Skip to main content

DEAD or ASLEEP???



If I were to ask "who here loves to sleep?" and I was addressing an audience, I am sure 98% would raise their hands. Wouldn't you?? I know I would. I have a housemate who is also a like a sister to me who says in her own words,” I sleep like a log, so you won’t wake me up even if you try to!” I would have to testify it is the truth, when she sleeps she sleeps! I am a light sleeper, if I hear a knock I wake up. If there is a conversation near me I can randomly join in. However there is this one time that I slept though a major emergency on the floor I was on. I have to say though that night I was not only sleeping for one night but all the sleep and weariness from days before were lumped to one night of sleep.  I love watching comedy and I sometimes watch Amharic comedy dramas. On one of them, the son of the house sleeps a lot and the dad asked him if he is just sleeping or training for death. I laughed a lot when I first heard that but later on it started meaning more than a joke to me. Dying is not the same as sleeping, and even if that boy sleeps a lot he could get as close as training for death but not actually die. I am not being all dark and spooky I promise there is a point am about to make.

“He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.” 1 Peter 2:24. You see, as Christians we are not called to sleep to sin but to die to it! The three scenarios in the previous paragraph describe 3 types of sleeping habits but a common thing they all shared was that they were awakened. The main difference between sleeping and dying is that you will be able to wake up from the preceding one. Do we then want to sleep to our sins or die to them? Once we are dead to sin that part of our life can never rise again, it can never wake up! However, if we lead a life style that only allows us to put our sins to sleep, who knows when, but they are sure to wake up. Do we really want that? Of course not!! “But now he has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation—“ Colossians 1:22. Since we are called to be people without blemish and free from accusation we should be sure to say our sins are dead, no longer living! No longer will they wake up to take us back to the old life style we had before Christ, no longer will we back slide!

Notes
  • If you feel like your sins or sinful ways of living are re-occurring, think about it may be you put them to sleep not to the grave
  • We are called to live in Him as holy and as blameless people with possibly dark pasts but bright and promised futures

Stay Blessed<3

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Jaded!

I hope you and your loved ones are safe in these crazy times. If any tragedy has come to your home, I pray God's peace and love envelops you right where you are. I pray that you rely on His unending love, mercy, grace, and strength in this time of hardship... I am, like most people, feeling very jaded. I have experienced more highs and lows in such intense frequencies now than any other time I can remember. I believe this is why the Lord has me sharing this... I had planned to write about loving people and what it looks like in different seasons. However, I felt a nudge that I should be sharing about the hope I have despite feeling jaded. To make sure we are on the same page about what I mean when I say jaded, here are two definitions from Merriam Webster's dictionary:  1: fatigued by overwork: EXHAUSTED  2: made dull, apathetic, or cynical by experience or by having or seeing too much of something I can identify with both definitions. In this season, I fin...

Sermon by Jentezen Franklin: The Way of the Eagle

God will Fly Faster than you will fall..Then He will catch you! Qualities of an Eagle..we should have these things as Christians 1) An Eagle has Great Vision: It is easy to get lost without a vision 2)  An Eagle feasts only on Living things: We are alive in Christ, we do not need the dead things of our past 3) An Eagle is Faithful : We should be faithful in our relationship with our mates, friends, families and most of all in our relationship with God! When Does an Eagle Soar to the sky with its eyes set on the sun? 1) When a storm is approaching The Eagle sets its eyes on the heaven above as a storm approaches. We need to set our Gaze on Christ when storms come our way. "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:2 2) When its enemy approaches The Condor is Eagle's enemy and it knows the only way it can win is if the Eagle stays down (when the Eagle doesn't soar to the sky) The only way our enemy will win u...

Sermon by Jentezen Franklin: The Power of Doing More than Expected

Even Jesus went a little farther...He did more than expected! Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” Matthew 26:39 1) Jacob was working for his unfair father-in-law...and still did more than expected   Genesis 29 Jacob was tricked by his father-in-law Laban. But he never sinned against Laban and he always did more than what was expected from him! 2) Who did Jacob learn it from..doing more than expected? From his mother Rebekah "17  The servant hurried to meet her and said, “Please give me a little water from your jar.” 18  “Drink, my lord,” she said, and quickly lowered the jar to her hands and gave him a drink. 19  After she had given him a drink, she said, “I’ll draw water for your camels too, until they have had enough to drink.” 20  So she quickly emptied her jar into the trough, ran back to the we...