Skip to main content

It’s different but really the SAME!


After almost a decade, my siblings and our parents are in the same country at the same time. In times like these, you find yourself enjoying even the silliest of arguments between siblings. I especially love hearing my auntie’s iteration of some of our childhood memories. Being home has also allowed me look at all the things God has done for my family and I. I have not written about my full testimony on this blog but I felt to share a portion of it in this post as it is relevant to what I will talk about. Here goes…

I was born in to a Christian household to my amazing parents. Though I was Christian, I can now say I didn’t have a personal relationship with the Lord until after I moved to Canada. I went through a season of questioning if I really knew the Lord. To be honest, I had tried to read the bible before then but I really needed to dig in. God, in His amazing mercy and grace, surrounded me with people that knew and loved Him.  After finishing my first year in University, I remember accepting the Lord into my life. I remember I was in my room and I said “Jesus, I don’t know if I already have you in my life but if not, can you please come into my life and be my personal Savor?” That was in October of 2010 and by far the best decision I have ever made.
My journey was and remains interesting. I was raised in a different Christian denomination from the one I currently identify with. However, I made it my personal mission to make sure my family and friends understood that we still served the same Lord. You see where I am from  these two denominations had a long lasting rivalry. One was part of the Ethiopian identity for the longest time while the other was highly misunderstood.  Because of the fear of the unknown parents felt betrayed by their children when they decided to follow Christ in the “newer” denomination. People that decided to pursue this denomination got persecuted whilst they denounced the practices of the former one. The people that were in the “newer” denomination even equated practices that were part of worship in the previous denomination as idolization. Some of these new converts went on to boast that they had the right path while the rest didn’t.  I say these things boldly because I have seen, heard, and experienced similar things.
Even when I was so intentional at standing for unity in Christ, I recently realized that I also had some prejudices of my own. You see I grew up in Ethiopia in the former denomination but after accepting the Lord joined the “newer” denomination but in Canada.  Yesterday was the first time I got to attend a Church service in Ethiopia.  Before I went to this service I remember asking the Lord to help me, for me not to receive any word that wasn’t from Him. This temporary skepticism came from the fact that I had been hearing not so pleasant things that some of the leaders of this “newer” denomination had been doing. However, God is bigger!
Few minutes in to the service, God was confirming some of the things He had taught me through this Apostle. I could hear Him telling me that we both have the same spirit in us, that we both serve the same Lord, Jesus Christ. God was teaching me about 1 Corinthians 12, One Body with Many Members, all over again.  You see even as this chapter talks about different ministries within a church it also gives insight to different churches within the big “C” Church.
I believe God uses denominations as ways of reaching out to different segments of people. People that appreciate one can worship Him in that setting whilst others in another. I am convinced that God cares less about denominations and more about people knowing His son.
If God’s heart for mankind is that none should perish, why do we waste time nit picking our denominational differences? Why isn’t the focus the suffering world? Why isn’t our concern sharing the love of Christ?
I conclude by imploring you to focus on the big “C” Church! Think more on the similarities we hold in Christ than the doctrinal differences. We can get more done together by uniting than by tearing one another down. God is love and if we claim to be His followers our lives need to reflect it.
“12 For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ. 13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.
14 For the body does not consist of one member but of many. 15 If the foot should say, “Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body,” that would not make it any less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would be the sense of hearing? If the whole body were an ear, where would be the sense of smell? 18 But as it is, God arranged the members in the body, each one of them, as he chose. 19 If all were a single member, where would the body be? 20 As it is, there are many parts, yet one body.” 1 Corinthians 12:12 - 20

Stay Blessed<3

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon by Jentezen Franklin: Refuse to Pretend

Be a Contender not a Pretender!  1) The time Jacob labored to get Rachel was nothing to him because of how much he loved her. Similarly when you love God all the sacrifices you make are nothing..if you truly love Him that is! "So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her." Genesis 29:20 Rachel is his first Love..She is representation of Jesus and His Love where as Leah is the  substitute ..not the real one. Rachel is the one where as Leah is the second option..not the best! Leah is Religion where as Rachel is Relationship with Christ Leah is Survival where as Rachel is Revival 2) Do not be Pretenders but Contenders "Dear friends,  although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share,  I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend  for the faith  that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people."Jude 1:3 Do not be like people who come to church

Video of the Week : Holding on to You

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:23  Teach me until I am broken no more, feed me until am hungry no more! I am Holding on to You!! Today I encourage you to hold on to Him, the Faithful one who won't let go of you even if you let go of Him! Hold on to the one who has you in His hands, to the one who numbered every stand of hair and all of your days!! I have seen His miracles in times of my storm by just choosing to Hold on to Him!!! Stay Blessed<3

Sermon by Jentezen Franklin: The Way of the Eagle

God will Fly Faster than you will fall..Then He will catch you! Qualities of an Eagle..we should have these things as Christians 1) An Eagle has Great Vision: It is easy to get lost without a vision 2)  An Eagle feasts only on Living things: We are alive in Christ, we do not need the dead things of our past 3) An Eagle is Faithful : We should be faithful in our relationship with our mates, friends, families and most of all in our relationship with God! When Does an Eagle Soar to the sky with its eyes set on the sun? 1) When a storm is approaching The Eagle sets its eyes on the heaven above as a storm approaches. We need to set our Gaze on Christ when storms come our way. "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:2 2) When its enemy approaches The Condor is Eagle's enemy and it knows the only way it can win is if the Eagle stays down (when the Eagle doesn't soar to the sky) The only way our enemy will win u