Skip to main content

Misplaced Expectations...

Hey Fam, I am here! I had no intentions of making my first blog post of the year in 3rd month. However, I have learned to embrace the art of flexibility as things around me seem to be changing at an uncontrollable rate. 

I wanted my post today to touch a bit on expectations. Growing up this was a very tough concept for me to grasp. I always thought that expectations I had of others were only fair because how could loving people be or do any less than the standard I had set? My mom used to always warn me about getting hurt by people because I had such high expectations. Her words then didn't make a lot of sense to me. But in hindsight, I completely see it! I had expectations of perfection from imperfect people around me, including myself. I know I had said this before, but my humanity used to shock me a lot more than it does now. All this to say, I learned lesson after lesson about misplaced expectations. 

I think of how Samuel went to the house of Jesse to anoint the next king of Israel. Jesse lined up all his sons except one, the youngest and the least likely to be king. You can read the full story in 1 Samuel 16. But, the part that struck my heart is when God discloses His heart to Samuel. "But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart." 1 Samuel 16:7 .. How amazing is this? 

Another one that always brings me to a complete halt is how the Messiah was anticipated to be a warrior, a fighter. He was expected to be the one to physically free the Jewish people from the rule of the Romans. Instead, Jesus Christ, The Messiah, came as a baby born to a humble young girl. This slays me...

I guess in saying all this the two underlying points I have are as follows:

1. Do not put people on a pedestal. Do not expect people to be perfect and never disappoint you because ONLY GOD can be and do that. And when people or you yourself fall short, don't be too shocked. Forgive/Repent and move on! 

2. Do not place God in a small box that your imagination put around Him. He is bigger and is able to do exceedingly abundantly far beyond our expectations. He can shock and surprise you with grand or super humble things. You might see and find God in places or people you least expect. 

How then should we proceed? In my short life, I have learned to serve and love others without expecting anything in return. My husband has taught me a lot in this area. He is a master at not having misplaced expectations. Conversely, I challenge you to put all your expectations and trust in the Lord. In fact, I dare you, trust God completely and see if He will fail you. You will wait a lifetime and then more...He will never fail you. 

I leave you with these verses because they encourage me every time!

"20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever! Amen."  Ephesians 3:20 - 21

"5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart And do not lean on your own understanding. 6 In all your ways acknowledge Him,  And He will make your paths straight." Proverbs 3:5 - 6 

Stay Blessed<3


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sermon by Jentezen Franklin: Refuse to Pretend

Be a Contender not a Pretender!  1) The time Jacob labored to get Rachel was nothing to him because of how much he loved her. Similarly when you love God all the sacrifices you make are nothing..if you truly love Him that is! "So Jacob served seven years to get Rachel, but they seemed like only a few days to him because of his love for her." Genesis 29:20 Rachel is his first Love..She is representation of Jesus and His Love where as Leah is the  substitute ..not the real one. Rachel is the one where as Leah is the second option..not the best! Leah is Religion where as Rachel is Relationship with Christ Leah is Survival where as Rachel is Revival 2) Do not be Pretenders but Contenders "Dear friends,  although I was very eager to write to you about the salvation we share,  I felt compelled to write and urge you to contend  for the faith  that was once for all entrusted to God’s holy people."Jude 1:3 Do not be like people who come to church

Video of the Week : Holding on to You

"Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:23  Teach me until I am broken no more, feed me until am hungry no more! I am Holding on to You!! Today I encourage you to hold on to Him, the Faithful one who won't let go of you even if you let go of Him! Hold on to the one who has you in His hands, to the one who numbered every stand of hair and all of your days!! I have seen His miracles in times of my storm by just choosing to Hold on to Him!!! Stay Blessed<3

Sermon by Jentezen Franklin: The Way of the Eagle

God will Fly Faster than you will fall..Then He will catch you! Qualities of an Eagle..we should have these things as Christians 1) An Eagle has Great Vision: It is easy to get lost without a vision 2)  An Eagle feasts only on Living things: We are alive in Christ, we do not need the dead things of our past 3) An Eagle is Faithful : We should be faithful in our relationship with our mates, friends, families and most of all in our relationship with God! When Does an Eagle Soar to the sky with its eyes set on the sun? 1) When a storm is approaching The Eagle sets its eyes on the heaven above as a storm approaches. We need to set our Gaze on Christ when storms come our way. "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:2 2) When its enemy approaches The Condor is Eagle's enemy and it knows the only way it can win is if the Eagle stays down (when the Eagle doesn't soar to the sky) The only way our enemy will win u