Skip to main content

Bonding Time!


I do not have an expert level understanding of what it means when doctors say “Bonding Time” when they refer to a time a newborn spends with his/her mama. However, since the arrival of my niece, I have heard this term being thrown around a lot and it got me curious.

It turns out that the “Skin to Skin” and mama baby time are important parts of a newborn learning his/her new environment. It is when the baby lays down on the mom’s chest that they calm down. This is because of the mama’s heartbeat, a rhythm the baby has known and felt from the inside. In bringing the newborn close to the mama’s chest, it brings the baby comfort, peace, protection, and a sense of familiarity. In addition, it allows for the newborn baby to learn mama’s scent.  The tone of voice and the scent become two of the ways that a baby recognizes his/her mom until they get past seeing shapes.

Seeing this up-close and understanding the why behind some of the things that are done for a newborn got me thinking about John. John had one of those up close and personal relationships with Jesus. It even says that John leaned into Jesus’ chest and considered himself to be the one that Christ loved (Refer to John 13:23). Even though John was neither a newborn nor Jesus’ baby, the principles of bonding apply. Could it be that in times that John leaned in, he learned Jesus’ heartbeat? Could it be that John was able to differentiate subtle differences in Jesus’ tone of voice?

I think as disciples of Jesus, we can be like John or the others. Both types of disciples are devoted to Jesus and following His ways. That said, the ones like John are those that passionately pursue the Lord. Like John, we can be disciples that seek to lean in! We can learn to be  pursuers of Jesus’ heart and not just His mission. We can also learn to trust Him enough to just collapse into His chest, to listen closely.

I believe being a friend and disciple of Jesus can look very different depending on how close we are to His heart. I challenge, both you and I, to draw closer to Him. Because He promises to draw closer to us in response.

“Come near to God ad He will come near to you.’’ James 4:8a

Stay Blessed<3


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Jaded!

I hope you and your loved ones are safe in these crazy times. If any tragedy has come to your home, I pray God's peace and love envelops you right where you are. I pray that you rely on His unending love, mercy, grace, and strength in this time of hardship... I am, like most people, feeling very jaded. I have experienced more highs and lows in such intense frequencies now than any other time I can remember. I believe this is why the Lord has me sharing this... I had planned to write about loving people and what it looks like in different seasons. However, I felt a nudge that I should be sharing about the hope I have despite feeling jaded. To make sure we are on the same page about what I mean when I say jaded, here are two definitions from Merriam Webster's dictionary:  1: fatigued by overwork: EXHAUSTED  2: made dull, apathetic, or cynical by experience or by having or seeing too much of something I can identify with both definitions. In this season, I fin...

Sermon by Jentezen Franklin: The Way of the Eagle

God will Fly Faster than you will fall..Then He will catch you! Qualities of an Eagle..we should have these things as Christians 1) An Eagle has Great Vision: It is easy to get lost without a vision 2)  An Eagle feasts only on Living things: We are alive in Christ, we do not need the dead things of our past 3) An Eagle is Faithful : We should be faithful in our relationship with our mates, friends, families and most of all in our relationship with God! When Does an Eagle Soar to the sky with its eyes set on the sun? 1) When a storm is approaching The Eagle sets its eyes on the heaven above as a storm approaches. We need to set our Gaze on Christ when storms come our way. "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Colossians 3:2 2) When its enemy approaches The Condor is Eagle's enemy and it knows the only way it can win is if the Eagle stays down (when the Eagle doesn't soar to the sky) The only way our enemy will win u...

Sermon by Jentezen Franklin: The Power of Doing More than Expected

Even Jesus went a little farther...He did more than expected! Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, “My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will.” Matthew 26:39 1) Jacob was working for his unfair father-in-law...and still did more than expected   Genesis 29 Jacob was tricked by his father-in-law Laban. But he never sinned against Laban and he always did more than what was expected from him! 2) Who did Jacob learn it from..doing more than expected? From his mother Rebekah "17  The servant hurried to meet her and said, “Please give me a little water from your jar.” 18  “Drink, my lord,” she said, and quickly lowered the jar to her hands and gave him a drink. 19  After she had given him a drink, she said, “I’ll draw water for your camels too, until they have had enough to drink.” 20  So she quickly emptied her jar into the trough, ran back to the we...